New Zealand Shortbread

A couple of years ago at this time, I posted one of the Captain's family recipes that has become a tradition in our house at Christmas. I wanted to re-post that recipe today because, being lazy, I have adjusted it slightly this year to make it even easier to make. And it's still just as good.

I don't know why we call it New Zealand Shortbread, except that we do have family living over on that side of the world. So maybe that's where this recipe originated. I don't know. What I do know is that after the holidays, I can no longer fit into my pants. And I'm pretty sure these babies are to blame.

New Zealand Shortbread

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix everything but condensed milk well and press 3/4 of the mixture into a buttered and floured 8x8 baking dish. Set aside remaining mix.
Pour condensed milk over shortbread in the pan and crumble remaining shortbread mix on top. Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. When completely cool, cut into 16 squares.

This recipe can be doubled, and in this house it usually is. They also freeze well, so you can make them weeks in advance and spend your actual holidays lounging around in front of the TV, occasionally getting up to sneak yet another one out of the freezer.

In case you can't tell, I am not a believer in self-deprivation during the holidays. December is for shameful, excessive celebration. I can restrain myself in January.

Bon appetit!



Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my gosh, I so have to try those! Yum!
Oh baby, this sounds good. It's much like the shortbread I made but I don't use sweetened condensed milk. I'm gonna give it a whirl! Thanks!!!

God bless and have a great day sweetie!!!
Glenda said…
I will definitely be trying this one! It sounds like it might have a gazillion calories and fat grams, but like you said....indulge yourself!
Jeannette StG said…
Your view about December made me smile! I can relate to it, so I guess I do the same:).Thanks for the recipe!
That's got "calories" written all over it, but it sounds fab!
Sounds like a great Shortbread recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Hi. I'm Knitwit, and I'm a Purse-a-holic.

Obama in Ottawa

Awards and Flowers