Pillowcase Dress

I promised you something impressive. Hopefully this week's craft won't disappoint.

I had two yards of stretchy navy fabric that needed to either be used or donated. I believe I paid something like $6 for it. Here's what I came up with:


What? Not impressive enough?! I admit that waistline does have a bit of a 70's mu-mu vibe going on. Not exactly flattering, especially on my body type. The overly interested cat doesn't do the whole look any favours either. But look what happens when I cinch it in and pin the excess with a brooch:

Instant hourglass! I could actually wear this to one of the Captain's wing-dings--not bad for six bucks! I left the hemline long enough for heels, but if I ever have the urge to waddle around the house in a comfy maxi dress, I can put a thin belt around my waist and let a little extra fabric spill over the top:

Again, not the greatest look for me, but this kind of thing seems to be all over Old Navy right now, so who am I to judge?

You might be surprised to discover that this dress required only the most basic of sewing skills and no pattern. If you want to make one yourself, here's a good tutorial for a kids' version (for an adult size, just make the fabric wider and longer--not rocket science, I promise!): http://www.theribbonretreat.com/blog/pillowcase-dress-tutorial.html

Technical notes: I also attempted a shorter version of this dress in a non-stretchy cotton fabric. It was okay, but I much preferred the way this stretchy one hung on me, and with a stretch knit, you have the added bonus of not having to hem the thing because it won't fray. Hooray for laziness! I like the feel of this one much better too. That said, I need all my clothes to feel like I'm wearing an oversized t-shirt, so I might be being a little nit-picky here. Also, some stretch fabrics are very hard to sew with, so you have to weigh the pros and cons.

And now the pressure's on to complete teacher gifts and town fair entries. If I'm successful, I should have all kinds of things to show you next week, not to mention a full account of our latest natural disaster! Stay tuned!


Comments

Janine said…
Hi Wendy!!! I am so sorry for not being around lately!! LOTS of things going on. Wedding as you saw, selling one of our businesses,and just lots of stuff around the house.

LOVE the dress. You are a great seamstress. I hope your summer is starting out well.

Take care and have a great week.!!
The pinned dress is beautiful AND patriotic! That's all the dress needed -- accessories!
Great dress. I think, actually, you should wear it to the town fair. Selling your crafts, or jams or cakes whatever, dressed to the nines. Go for it! LOL
Glenda said…
Love the dress!
Especially when you add the brooch! What a class act! well done my friend. You mentioned my pink bow on my card. It's called a bow easy. I can't tie a bow worth a flip without it! It was inexpensive when I purchased mine and I have really enjoyed it for sure!

Love it, especially when you added the accessory! You could also use a long scarf as your belt.

Have a great week!
Unknown said…
u r seriously creative!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hi. I'm Knitwit, and I'm a Purse-a-holic.

This Post Brought To You In 1-Minute Increments

Obama in Ottawa