Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Crafty Week

This week I got extra crafty and completed two quick and easy projects! Sadly, I was nowhere near as productive in the area of housework...

First up, my little hanging tooth pillow:


RB lost a tooth this week, and the idea of trying to get a toonie* under his pillow was just too exhausting. The Captain is away and my patience is at a premium, so I've decided that from now on the tooth fairy can visit our dining room instead.

I used some leftover felt scraps and a simple technique similar to this one, except I cut my pieces tooth-shaped and added a ribbon on top so it can be hung on a doorknob if necessary. There's a pocket for teeth and money on the back that I naturally forgot to photograph. It was a 15-minute project (tops), and now no one will learn the traumatic truth about the tooth fairy by waking up one night to find me swearing as I dig around under their pillows looking for lost teeth.

My second project was a spur-of-the-moment attempt at using up some fabric I've had lying around for ages. My mom gave me some stretchy white eyelet stuff last year, and I happened to have a smaller piece of solid white jersey leftover from a previous project, so I thought I'd attempt a maxi skirt for summer. I'm never mad for sewing with stretch knits, but for some odd reason, this one came off without a hitch--and in a mere 30 minutes or so start-to finish. My stars were obviously aligned this week! Here's how the skirt turned out:

Sorry for the dreadful photo--the eyelet pattern is hard to see up top. 

There are a million tutorials out there for making stretchy skirts without a pattern, and I used a method much like this one (minus the hem--truly, I am as lazy as they come), made 2 skirts and then attached them together at the top when it was time to put in the elastic. Like every project I complete, this was so easy-peasy, I could've just gotten one of the dogs to do it. As an added bonus, I happened to run across a shorter, but similar, version of it being sold at Old Navy later in the day. So apparently, this frumpy, middle-aged mom is right on-trend!

Happy long weekend, everyone!


*For my non-Canadian friends, a toonie is a $2 coin. Prices have really skyrocketed since I was a kid...

6 comments:

Judy@judyfriendphotography.com said...

Love the skirt and the very cute tooth pillow. Remember the house work will still be there. So have fun with your crafts! Jude

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A toonie for a tooth! Man, I thought I was rich if I got a quarter for mine, LOL! Love the tooth pillow idea too.

Glenda Brooks said...

Both projects are great. I'm afraid I left my sewing skills lying in a ditch somewhere. Still have the Singer machine, just never even put it up out of the cabinet. I don't even sew on cards (did you notice)!

Марина Тыгдымаева said...

Very nice post!

Kelly Sheehy said...

Wow! I am so enjoying seeing your crafts! Great skirt and wonderful tooth fairy pillow! I had meant to make/buy something similar for my kids when they were still of the tooth-losing ages - but, it didn't happen. I think yours is awesome! That is so cool that you can make clothing and jewelry! Wow!

sparkle100-havealook.blogspot.com said...

Love the skirt. Very nice.

Such talent to beable to sew clothes. I just did a material Mini book. I thought I was doing well. Well I did.