Happiness is an Empty Inbox

I have battled addiction and won! The chains that bound me to an unhealthy habit have been cut. I'm free! I'm free!

I've deleted my Facebook account.

Facebook was fun for a while, and I admit I'll miss being able to share photos with my family and close friends so easily. I will also miss that smug feeling of having the most amusing status update of all my friends. But really, these are not reasons to spend hours every day on something I know deep down is a waste of my time and brain power. Besides, I'd rather be blogging.

After letting everyone know I was leaving, I made sure to get all the email addresses of people I want to stay in touch with, and publicly posted a link to my blog so any interested parties can follow me here. And now that I'm off, I couldn't be happier.

As it turns out, I don't really care how my buddies, family members, casual acquaintances and people who only added me because they needed a 700th friend are doing in Farmville or Family Feud. I don't care if they like "Alcohol", "Not Being On Fire", or "If I Get 10,000 Fans I will Name My Baby Megatron". Seriously, the news feed was becoming the biggest annoyance in my life.

I'm also pretty sure that no one else found my status updates anywhere near as witty as I did. Did they really need to hear that my 6 year-old consistently beats me at Monopoly? Or that last night I dreamed I had a ginormous walk-in closet and was thoroughly disappointed to wake up? Come on people, this inane junk is what blogging is for!

The best thing though is that for the first time in WEEKS, I have had time to go through my emails, clear my inbox and still have time left over to blog! For all my whining about not keeping up with posting and commenting because of all the crazy goings-on around here, I have to admit, wasting time "social networking" was what was really holding me back.

So now I suddenly find myself with (almost) enough time to still keep in touch with my loved ones, get a little housework done and spend time with my family. I just know that getting that monkey off my back is going to allow me to enjoy life more.

At least until I get sucked in by Twitter.

Comments

Awwwww! I didnt even know you were on fb!
I love being able to keep up with people on there...my irl friends dont know bout my blog ;o)
Anonymous said…
LOL yeah, I used to be obssessed with Myspace, before Facebook became all the rage so I know what you mean about wasting your life away on social networking. I'm not quite as bad with Facebook as I still find aspects of Facebook highly annoying such as Farmville and all those other lame games...anywho...good blog. I can't seem to delete my accounts though ha ha so I guess I'll still be wasting my time some more! ;-) oh well
DUTA said…
I think you did the right thing. FB seems to me such a waste of time. The truth, I'm not on FB, never been, but I know what it is about, and how it works. Not for me.
I am very proud of you well-done. Cold turkey!

I've only recently joined the dreaded FB so I still have some time yet before I need to peel myself away. Won't be too long though, I am sure!
Deb Neerman said…
Boy, that title sezs it all, doesn't it?!? What I wouldn't give ...

So proud of you 'going cold turkey' on FB. You won't miss it much ...

I wonder if all those FB "farmers" considered that with all the time and energy spent creating an imaginary 'farm,' they could actually grow a real garden?!? Food for thought ...
Unknown said…
Yay - more blogging time!
Glenda said…
I still have my facebook account, however, I rarely visit. I'm all into blogging! You go girl! Glad you will be blogging. I love hearing from you!
Janine said…
GOOD FOR YOU!! I deleted mine ages ago. No time and nor do I think that I or anyone else is THAT interesting that I need to get it out there!! I call my family on the phone or go and see them if I can!!
I am proud of you!!!
How's the captain???
Congratulations! I hate the thing too. But I keep mine for daughters & overseas friends. In the meantime, I consistently ignore all those requests that come in. And especially, if I can you in person periodically, I DO NOT want to be your friend on FB.
Melanie said…
I managed for a week - then went back - but decreaseed FB Friends" by 30!

I will sign off again.. I always do!

Popular posts from this blog

Obama in Ottawa

Hi. I'm Knitwit, and I'm a Purse-a-holic.

Awards and Flowers