Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Drabby Pic and Recap

First, here's a drabby pic of me breathing a sigh of relief that my children have gone to bed:





'Nuff said!


Now, onto my Remembrance Day recap.


I fought with myself for a few days about whether or not I'd go to our small town's annual ceremony. As the only military family in town with someone currently serving overseas, it'd look good for me and the kids to show our faces. And there was about an 8% chance of us getting through it quietly and without incident. On the other hand, that meant that there was a 92% chance of Rosemary's Baby ruining everyone's moment of silence by breaking free and noisily climbing the town war memorial while I frantically stage-whispered at him to get down. So in the end, I decided it was just safer to stay home. Small townsfolk remember these things and talk about them for years.


But I wasn't going to sit around the house in my pyjamas, acting like it was just another day off. Firstborn and I had talked about the meaning of Remembrance Day, and I'd told him we'd be watching the big ceremony from Ottawa on TV and having a moment of silence at home to remember those who had fought to protect our freedom. So, at 10:00, I turned on the TV.


We don't have cable, and our local CBC station was recently shut down, so we are now down to one channel, CTV. I'd assumed all along that CTV would have the common decency to be recognizing this solemn occasion and would broadcast the ceremony happening in Ottawa, or at least one from the capital of our own province. I was wrong. CTV had apparently decided that they had a choice. They could take ONE LOUSY HOUR to recognize and remember the many selfless people who have sacrificed their lives and served our country in the last 110 years, or they could continue their proud legacy of crap and run today's episode of The View. I don't think I need to tell you which one they picked.


So, first I got up on my soapbox and lectured a bewildered Firstborn and Rosemary's Baby about the complete lack of respect for our veterans. Then, I stomped over to the computer, muttering something about Elizabeth Hasselbeck and her incessant chatter under my breath, and found the CBC website, where there was a live feed of the ceremony available for us to watch. 5 minutes of chopped-up internet viewing later, Firstborn declared the whole thing boring and wandered off to play lego. Rosemary's Baby had long since left the room to go press buttons on the washing machine, and I was left to try to pick Charles and Camilla out of the pixellated mess that was the video.


I watched the whole thing on principle, only stepping away a couple of times to make sure Rosemary's Baby hadn't gotten trapped in the dryer. The highlight for me was when the reporter talked to a 90 year-old World War II veteran in a wheelchair. He told her this would likely be his last time coming to Ottawa for the ceremony because he'd decided to sell his house and move into a retirement home. Adorable! I wanted to reach through the screen and give him a hug, and I spent the remainder of my morning blubbering.


Next year, I think braving the town Remembrance Day ceremony with my wicked children might actually be less infuriating!

12 comments:

laterg8r said...

wow, that sucks! seriously, they have screwed up priorities!!

In Real Life said...

I can't believe the lack of respect for Remembrance Day, not only CTV, but in general.

My son's homeschool facilitator had sent an internet video for us to watch, so we did that and then observed our 2 minutes of silence. My daughter is studying the world wars this year, so she was much more aware of what Remembrance Day means. I was thinking that next year I will take them to the ceremony at City Hall.

Janine said...

Oh I betcha those boys would behave themselves!!
Have a great day Wendy!
And I think someone should just tell Elizabeth Hasselbeck to eat worms.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

that does suck! we go to our parade every year. my son loves looking at 'real' soldiers instead of half wits just stomping around in their camo at walmart

Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom said...

LOL at your Drabby pic :) Thanks for linking!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm sorry they didn't take the time to remember Remeberance Day. How terrible.

Tater Tot Mom said...

I agree, that really sucks! I mean come on, The View?!? Really people, really?

SemperFi said...

I, too, spent Remembrance Day morning blubbering over the internet and tv. Damn military always pulls on a few too many heartstrings!

My Passport to Style said...

Hi there,thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments.Lovely to hear you grew up in England and that your stuck on clogs! Great atmosphere here! Sharon xxxoo

Stephanie Faris said...

I'm not sure how it is there but here, when the President gives an address every major network plus the news channel air it live. When I was really young, pre-cable, we had to watch it. Now there are so many cable channels you have a choice...but that's a shame. Maybe it's good to force us to watch certain things.

Have you written to the network to complain? Although I'm not sure it will do any good... I'm still amazed The View is on as much of a joke as Elisabeth and Whoopie have made of it.

Martinis or Diaper Genies? said...

sucky and shitty all in one poopbucket.

PS I'm a new follower!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.