Staycation, Part 2

Staycation is over. Bring on the long weekend!

We had a fun time vacationing at home this year. It's not the same as going away, but it definitely has its perks. Not dealing with overstimulated kids in a hotel room every night is one of them!

The pictures:





A marshmallow roast and camping out for Firstborn and the Captain, some fun with tie-dyeing, and a little fiddling around on my sewing machine so my Harry Potter nut could have his own Hogwarts robes.








Various lunches in various locales. Taking the kids out to eat is so much less stressful than it used to be, and around here we can enjoy a scenic trip home down a back road. Firstborn won that disguise at the arcade in Booming Metropolis (scroll down for details) and insisted on wearing it for the rest of the day. We got some funny looks at the mall. Luckily we're very, very used to getting funny looks everywhere we go.





We have reptile gardens nearby and decided to check them out. The kids had a great time and got creepy-looking keychains from the gift shop at a very reasonable price (unlike some gift shops. Zoo, I'm looking in your overpriced direction). The whole visit lasted less than 30 minutes, but that was quite enough for me. Between the heebee-jeebees I always get around reptiles, and Rosemary's Baby trying to open the door to the anaconda exhibit, another 10 minutes would've done me in. The fact that no one got eaten is a minor miracle.



Booming Metropolis has a small arcade with lots of age-appropriate fun for both my kids. We went on a weekday morning and they pretty much had the run of the place. RB kept gravitating back to the same couple of games and Firstborn gave almost all of them a try. In the end, they won enough tickets to each pick themselves out a couple of prizes. You know it's a good setup when no one had to be dragged out kicking and screaming.

And that's Staycation 2011!

Comments

Unknown said…
It sounds like everyone had a lot of fun! I really enjoyed seeing your pictures! Awesome tye-dying and sewing! :)
Hey, when your son is done with his Groucho Marx disguise, his Hogwarts brother can remove the eyebrows, nose and mustache for his very own Harry Potter glasses!
Laeli said…
We get weird looks wherever we go too. I think its my daughter's raptor impression but I could be wrong.
I love your tye dye! Great job!

Enjoy your lovely long weekend:)
Louisette said…
I have pleasure to read your post, funy, have a nice day, Louisette from belgium
Glenda said…
Sounds like a great time was had by all. After all, is it not the whole idea? Good quality time with the kids! Nothing could be better!
Dimple said…
No over stimulated kids sounds like a big plus to me! I'm very impressed with your tie-dye results, they're great!
I'm glad the anaconda was not released, no one was eaten, and everyone had a good time.
It looks like you had a great staycation.

If you have meal planning tips or recipe to share, link up with me. The link is now open til the 15th.
Welcome Home !! Ha ha

Sounds like you had a really good time, well planned but casual. My kinda holiday!
MOMSWEB said…
I love the idea of a staycation! Wish I heard about this when mine were younger. Don't think it would be well received at 13 and 15. lol
Travis Erwin said…
Did you enjoy cleaning the ketchup of the seat belt?

Popular posts from this blog

Hi. I'm Knitwit, and I'm a Purse-a-holic.

This Post Brought To You In 1-Minute Increments

Obama in Ottawa